Dental implants are not an exciting topic, nor are they enjoyable to talk about. After all, they are titanium screws that get inserted into your jaw bone. As painful and expensive as dental implants may sound, these are mere misconceptions.
Dental implants, however, are an excellent option for people missing a few teeth. They provide a permanent, more comfortable tooth replacement option than partial dentures.
Here are seven interesting facts you probably didn’t know about dental implants:
- Dental implants go back to 600 A.D. The skull of a Mayan woman was found to have the first dental implants: tooth-like pieces of shell that were hammered into her jaw.
- In 1951, the American Academy of Implant Dentistry was founded. The AAID became the first professional association in the world dedicated to implant dentistry. The AAID now boasts more than 4,000 members.
- Roughly 69 percent of Americans age 35 to 44 have at least one missing tooth. For those over 74, one in four have lost all their natural teeth.
- Dental implants are the only treatment option for missing teeth that provide the feel, function and appearance of natural teeth.
- A dental implant replaces the root of the missing tooth root and provides a strong and sturdy foundation for one or more replacement teeth or crowns.
- Teeth that are restored with dental implants do not get cavities. The crown that goes over the implant is made of ceramic, or porcelain crowns, which is durable and crack resistant. As the base inserted into the gums are made of titanium, they won’t be prone to plaque, bacteria and disease. You still have to clean and take care of dental implants.
- Dental implants are the only dental restoration option for missing teeth that preserves and stimulates natural bone. With implants, the bone both grows and becomes resistant to decay.
Dental implants have many benefits for patients with missing teeth. Dental implants have come a long way since its beginnings. Dental implants are now a routine dental procedure that yield a quick, less painful procedure.
Specifically, here are some additional benefits of dental implants:
- They are extremely durable and long-lasting
- They look and feel like natural teeth
- They are safe and comfortable
- They are not removable
- They are cleaned just like your other teeth
- They improve your smile by matching your other teeth
- They preserve the alignment of teeth and the structure of the jaw and face
- They protect against the destruction of the jaw and the possible dropping of the face
- They can be used as support for other dental procedures, such as all-on-four dentures and bridges
The idea of replacing missing teeth with dental implants has been around for thousands of years. The advanced knowledge and technology has made the process of inserting implants routine and safe. Many patients experience little irritation or discomfort. Implants today are more effective and comfortable.
If you’re a candidate for dental implants, contact us today and we’ll get you quickly on the road to having a beautiful, confident smile you’ll be proud of.